| Powder compact owned by Jacob Stopnicki |
The extraordinary story began with Tina's
maternal grandparents, Jacob and Tanya Stopnicki, who were incarcerated in the
Lodz ghetto. In 1941, Jacob gave Tanya the powder compact as a gift, for which
he traded for his daily ration of bread. Against all odds, Jacob was also able
to save Tanya and their infant daughter Krysia by hiding them in a bunker in
the ghetto until the end of the war. Krysia was one of the few children who
were born in the Lodz ghetto and miraculously survived. Sadly, Tanya passed
away a year after the ghetto was liberated.
![]() |
| Jacob and daughter Krysia |
| Michael Tal, Yad Vashem Artifacts Collection showing Tina Rosenstein hergrandfather's powder compact as it is displayed in the museum |
The researchers worked tirelessly to try to
find more information about the owners of the compact and their family members.
To complicate matters further, they discovered various documents in several
archives pertaining to no less than three people named Jacob Stopnicki in the
Lodz ghetto. After much cross-referencing and examination, they found several
photographs of Jacob and Tanya Stopnicki taken by another Lodz ghetto
photographer, Henryk Ross, during the war. Much to their amazement, they also
found living descendants of the couple living in Canada – their granddaughter,
Tina and Krysia.
| Michael Tal presenting Tina Rosenstein and her children witha photo he discovered of her grandfather Jacob before the War |
Before entering the museum, an emotional Tina face-timed with her
mother, Krysia, who lives in Florida, and wished she could have made the
journey to see the compact. "I
was truly overwhelmed with emotion holding my grandfather's powder compact for
the first time. I will always remember my grandfather as a generous and loving
man," she said. "Holding
the compact, I tried to imagine what he felt like giving such a beautiful present
to his wife under such horrific conditions."
Tina continued, "I
still can't believe the personal connection I now have with Yad Vashem -
part of our family's history is literally on display to share with the millions
of visitors that come here every year. I
told my teenage boys that I hope that when they grow up they bring their
children to see the powder compact displayed in the Lodz ghetto exhibit and that
they never forget their personal connection to Yad Vashem."


No comments:
Post a Comment