Tuesday, March 9, 2010

VP Biden just left Yad Vashem

Vice President Joe Biden just concluded his visit to Yad Vashem. He visited with his wife, Dr. Jill Biden. Although VP Biden was here in the past, this was his first visit to the Holocaust History Museum that opened in 2005.

After a tour of the Holocaust History Museum, a memorial ceremony, and a visit to the Children's Memorial, Biden spoke about his experiences bringing his sons, as young men, to Dachau and then to Israel.

"As a young father, when I introduced each of our sons - who are grown men now - to Europe, I took them first to Dachau so they could understand as young men... the ability of mankind to be so brutal. But also I took my son here to Israel, to let him know that the indomitable spirit of human beings is not able to be snuffed out.
What I wrote in the book, is - as a fan of the Irish poet William Butler Yeats writing about his Ireland - he said, too long a suffering makes a stone of the heart. What I wrote here is that, 'every day Israel makes a lie of the poet's words, too long a suffering makes a stone of the heart.'
Because for world Jewry, Israel is the heart, for world Jewry, Israel is the light, for world Jewry Israel is the hope. If anyone ever wondered about that they ought to take a tour of the museum, they will not doubt it again."



2 comments:

  1. Me and my family came to Israel last summer, to see and feel it's holy places. It was important to us that our kids will grow up to be tolerant, so on the second day we took them to Yad Vashem. It was an important experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that visit! me and my wife were their at the same time - we visited the holy places and we had to plan ahead our schedule due to the heavy security of his visit... it was incredible, we could really feel the holiness.

    ReplyDelete